Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A little culture goes a long way...

This weekend, on Saturday I went out for a much anticipated breakfast on Darby St with my model friend. It was one of those sunny, really hot days that make you want to lie in the sun all day and listen to music and laugh with friends. A beautiful spring day that makes you even more excited for summer.

Darby St is a collection of little boutiques-designer to vintage and cafes with a few bars and pubs. Think Brunswick St in Melbourne. It is culture central; musos, artists, models, designers eat, play and work here.
It was at this breakfast, on this sunny day where this exhibition of culture was most obvious.

All different styles were on show...eclectic, vintage, on-trend, past seasons, indie and designer brands. No one girl looked the same but they all had something in common-they looked confident, stylish and beautiful. Most of all they had belief in what they were wearing and were comfortable. All of them had different body shapes and were different heights, which affirmed my thinking that no-one should look the same.

When your at school everyone seems to want to fit in, to look the same, talk the same and do the same things. Now I fell into this trap too, until I met a friend who had so much confidence in what she wore and how she wore it that I wanted to be that confident with my clothes as well. From then on, I followed what I liked from new trends and kept my trusty basics. I was in my prime in highschool when I met a group of friends, many musos and artists who had such varied style. It was really inspiring.

Sitting on Darby with my friend-the both of us wearing completley different styles, I was blown away by the culture I was seeing and the mixes of the types of culture. And I remembered the Coco Chanel quote "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." {Quote obtained from- http://thinkexist.com/quotations/fashion/}.
I believe this, your culture is something that can provide a definition about you, it is where you are from, who you know, what you do...it is only natural for your culture, your beliefs and your values to influence and infiltrate into your fashion choices.

It's exciting really, to put an indvidual mark on clothing. To twist the way it is meant to be worn and make it your own. Take the runway for example- those bigger than life pieces seem so unrealistic and usually end up different on the hanger. This is because the designer is allowing you to experience the concepts and styles in their rawest and most pure forms. Breathtaking, exciting and edgy.

I love to look at what people are wearing-what accessories or layers they have chosen, does it match, clash or complement. I have often walked up to complete strangers to tell them they look amazing. You deserve to know, I love it when someone does it to me. I believe everyone can look amazing, you have to believe it, choose clothes and accessories which work for you and most of all sell it.

Think of your everyday life as your own personal runway, people are out there noticing what you are wearing and how you are wearing it. Make your mark, make them notice how you are wearing the clothes, the clothes are not wearing you. and remember, just like on Darby St, a little culture goes a long way...

No comments:

Post a Comment