Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The No Shopping Challenge...


At the start of this year I created and set about completing a list of items that I had always wanted to do. I called it "130 Things to do this Summer", I posted photos and updates to my friends on facebook, many of them helped complete a few items or have been influenced to do the same. Once my three week holidays had ended I had completed about 123 items. I am currently completing another list (and adding more items as I think of things I would like to do), titled  "She believed she could, so she did- What would you do if you knew you could not fail?" (click to check out the full list).

The shopping challenge is Item #7, the conditions? No make-up, clothing or accessory shopping for ONE month. I had chosen June as this month, so I am 7 days in... I am finding it not too bad, except when I get email alerts of sales or am walking past stores with items I love for sale or new stock in. Anyone who knows me well knows that this will be big, for one month to do no shopping.

During this time I am planning to knock more items off my list including the ones that revolve around redoing my room and sorting through my wardrobe (I want to cull my clothes down significantly).

There are of course people who have really committed to this and are doing it for longer, Jill Chiver is one of them. In 2009 she decided she would (in an effort to reduce spending) not shop for a year, instead she would 'shop in her wardrobe'. I love the idea of this- looking into your wardrobe for options, wearing those items you look at but do not wear, forcing yourself to be creative. Following her own experience, Jill has set up a program called "My Year Without Clothes Shopping", for more information click here .

I am starting small, but I want to prove to myself and others that I can do this... who knows I may extend the timeframe..

Kooklah Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment